Friday, January 11, 2008

Artwork of the 8th Missori Cavalry

This is a piece of art that I did for my Dad for Christmas. It depicts our direct ancestors, from left to right, Captain Jacob Cossairt, Co. I, 8th Missouri State Militia Cavalry Regiment, US and of course, 2nd Lieutenant Joseph G. Lewis, 8th Missouri Cavalry Regiment, Cos B & A, CSA.


You'll note the Missouri Battle Flag, or Price's Flag, above Joseph. Not sure exactly what flag he went under, but he was a part of Price's Raid in late 1864. At any rate, it is known as the Missouri Battle Flag. So it works. Maybe, Mr. Jim McGhee, you can comment further on this...

2nd Lt. Joseph G. Lewis, Cos. B & A
In this picture, you can see the grain of the myrtlewood under neath. The piece is a mixed media, done with India Ink and acrylic paints. It is kinda in between a sketch and a painting. I can do these fairly quick (it took about 8 hours to do). A full painting or drawing takes a long time. I get bored with that. Most folks get the gist from a simpler piece anyhow. So the extra effort is wasted in my opinion.

Captain Jacob Cossairt, Co. I, 8th Missouri State Militia Cavalry Regiment, US

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your picture was really good!!! I'm glad you take such a strong interest in your fathers family. Most kids just live for the day. Nice to see that you have a desire to keep the past apart of the present.

Love Aunt Ramona

CSA Brent said...

Thanks for kind words, Aunt Ramona...glad you liked it! If the past isn't preserved, the future is doomed. So I work hard to preserve it today, and hope some of our kids take up the torch someday. I guess I have continued to a degree with Dad's interest in history. bh

Anonymous said...

I really liked the Civil War Horse piece. It looked really cool on the wood.

CSA Brent said...

Thanks Fan, I'm glad you liked it! Yea, that myrtlewood really showed through nicely.